After getting a good deal on a SRAM X-9 rear derailleur and shifter set I moved its X-7 parts to the Specialized while building the 69er. As part of fitting the X-9 stuff I also picked up a replacement set of brake/shift lever clamps known as Avid MatchMaker, which allow the brake and shift levers to share one mount. I think this makes for a cleaner looking bar, but due to its L shape it doesn’t save as much space as I thought and other items (such as a bell) can’t really be placed snugly against it.
When fitting the new rear derailleur I ran into a slight problem where the derailleur would sit slightly too far inboard, preventing the chain from sitting cleanly on the smallest cog. Even when the shift cable was removed and the appropriate set screw was backed all the way out the chain would rattle and jump up one cog. After using a DAG-2 confirming that the derailleur was straight the only solution was to move the derailleur slightly outboard with a washer. Conveniently my friend Jon gave me a 1.38mm thick 3/8″ zinc chromate-coated washer which did the job nicely and allows the bike to shift just as it should.
All of this work was coupled with some much-needed overall washing and drive train cleaning (and plastics replacement), so after getting everything back together I went out for a ride at Stony Creek. While this week was busy enough to keep me from being able to ride, I did manage to get out to Stony Creek this afternoon. A bit of tweaking of the shift cable was needed to get everything proper, but the bike otherwise seems to be working great. I had one possible moment of skipping during a hard climb, but in general the whole bike worked wonderfully. Coupling that with some wonderfully cool weather, absolutely wonderful trail conditions, and meeting a few nice folks while riding, it turned out to be a really great day.
Now I just need to give the bike another shakedown ride or three before Iceman Cometh Challenge next weekend.